Monday 16 December 2013

influences

 My practice is influenced from a variety of things not exclusively linked to just other artists.
I try to make my art work aesthetically pleasing but I also like to have some sort of story behind it,
just like how a work of art can be of a greater value (and not just in monetary value) if it comes with a good providence.

I'm interested in history; be it fact or fiction, folklore or an old wives tale, I like narrative and asserting a visual piece from that


For my print project I was inspired by the 1851 epic novel " Moby dick or; the White Whale" by Herman Melville. The novel was a good source of inspiration for its block buster worthy scenes that Melville paints in the viewer's mind with his words. Also the novel deals with different things in allegorical ways such as, mans obsession, Captain Ahab relentlessly pursues the white whale because it severed his leg below the knee and sank his ship in a previous voyage, projecting human characteristics on an animal incapable of having said characteristics.
The book also contains exploration of class and social status, good and evil, and the existence of God,
things of which are just as relevant in our age. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment