Monday 10 March 2014

The Essential Joseph Cornell



I got this book the other day "The Essential Joseph Cornell" by Ingrid Schaffner. I've yet to read it but looking through the pictures of his work really inspires me. Since my sculpture teacher recommended looking at his work after her seeing mine, I think I've found my 'favourite' artist. I love the 'found' materials that he uses and how he puts them together to create little scenes/worlds within boxes. Something seen as disposable and throwaway is transformed into wonderful works of art 


    Medici slot machine. 1942 stained hinged wood box with glass pane containing painted glass, metal jacks, photographs, printed papers, wood cubes, wrapped in printed and coloured metal, papers, glass and wood marbles, wood game pieces, mirrors, and compass mechanism. 
15 1/2 x 12 1/4 x 4/38" The Menil collection Houston. 

No comments:

Post a Comment