Friday 25 April 2014

The killing moon

  Wood, black paint, twigs, playdoh, skull beads, lightbulb, paper, religious statue



  A piece I made, painted predominately in black spray paint. I wanted to be more abstract. 

I used twigs to create a wood at night- they can be mysterious and haunting places and also isolated. 

Below the woods is the earth underneath with the roots connecting the two sections. I set the skull beads into the 'earth' to convey the dead as isolated, forgotten and many. Also as lonely. 

I used a lightbulb in part to convey the moon, it also has a eye on it which echoes Picasso's 'Guernica' in which 
an all seeing eye/ lightbulb is illuminating nothing - used in this case to symbolise our ignorance of our mortality. 

I also used a little religious statute to convey faith and hope that there is something after death- though it is tarnished by the paint as if the hope is fading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment